CITIZENSHIP AND NATURALIZATION
Hawaii Attorney Assists Clients with U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization
An experienced immigration lawyer can guide you to U.S. citizenship
The Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew in Honolulu, Hawaii guides individuals through the citizenship process, which requires specific steps and tests. The firm’s goal is to make the American Dream and U.S. citizenship a reality for immigrants.
Who can apply for U.S. citizenship?
There are two basic ways to obtain U.S. citizenship: by birth or by naturalization. Applicants for U.S. citizenship must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Hold a green card, now called a permanent resident card, for at least five years
- Hold a permanent resident card and be married to the U.S. citizen who petitioned for you for at least three years
- Hold a permanent resident card and serve in the U.S. Armed Forces or be a family member of an individual serving in the U.S. military
- Be born in the United States or one of its territories
- Be a child from a foreign country adopted by U.S. citizens, as allowed by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000
What is the application process for U.S. citizenship through naturalization?
To become a naturalized citizen of the United States, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a full-time resident of the United States for a specific period of time
- Have residence in a particular U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) district
- Be able to read, write and speak English
- Promise to uphold the laws of the United States
- Have a working knowledge of U.S. history and government
- Possess good moral character, with a favorable disposition toward the United States
After meeting these requirements, an individual must also complete an application for naturalization and attach any additional documents specific to the situation, such as a marriage certificate. If your application is approved, you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States during a formal ceremony. It is a day you will always treasure.