Hawaii Attorney Assists Clients with U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization

An experienced immigration lawyer can guide you to U.S. citizenship

The Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew in Honolulu, Hawaii guides individuals through the citizenship process, which requires specific steps and tests. The firm’s goal is to make the American Dream and U.S. citizenship a reality for immigrants.

Who can apply for U.S. citizenship?

There are two basic ways to obtain U.S. citizenship: by birth or by naturalization. Applicants for U.S. citizenship must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years old and
  • Hold a green card, now called a permanent resident card, for at least five years
  • Hold a permanent resident card and be married to the U.S. citizen who petitioned for you for at least three years
  • Hold a permanent resident card and serve in the U.S. Armed Forces or be a family member of an individual serving in the U.S. military
  • Be born in the United States or one of its territories
  • Be a child from a foreign country adopted by U.S. citizens, as allowed by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000


What is the application process for U.S. citizenship through naturalization?

To become a naturalized citizen of the United States, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a full-time resident of the United States for a specific period of time
  • Have residence in a particular U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) district
  • Be able to read, write and speak English
  • Promise to uphold the laws of the United States
  • Have a working knowledge of U.S. history and government
  • Possess good moral character, with a favorable disposition toward the United States

After meeting these requirements, an individual must also complete an application for naturalization and attach any additional documents specific to the situation, such as a marriage certificate. If your application is approved, you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States during a formal ceremony. It is a day you will always treasure.

Can a criminal record prevent U.S. citizenship?

If you have a criminal record, you may be ineligible for U.S. citizenship. If you were convicted of murder or any aggravated felony on or after November 29, 1990, you cannot establish good moral character — one of the naturalization requirements. Other criminal offenses may also result in temporary ineligibility.

What tests are required for U.S. citizenship?

Applicants for U.S. citizenship must pass a citizenship test consisting of an English test and a civics test, which is administered during the USCIS interview. The USCIS provides study materials, including 100 history and government questions and answers and reading and writing vocabulary lists, so you can prepare. There are exemptions and special accommodations made for individuals older than 65 years of age, those with disabilities and those who have lived in the United States for periods totaling at least 20 years.
Kahbo Dye-Chiew

Contact a skilled immigration attorney in Honolulu and find out which visa category applies to you

Call 808-542-5572 or Click Here  for assistance with immigration issues.