Home / Practice Areas / Family Immigration

Family Immigration Lawyer in Honolulu Helps Reunite Families in the United States

An attorney who strengthens family bonds with skilled immigration legal assistance

The Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew in downtown Honolulu, Hawaii guides families through the immigration process. Attorney KahBo Dye-Chiew understands family immigration firsthand: She went through the process of obtaining lawful permanent resident status through marriage to a U.S. citizen.

Your status in the United States determines which relatives may be eligible to receive immigration benefits.

As a U.S. citizen, visas are always available to your immediate family members

You must be a U.S. citizen to help family members receive immigration benefits. The following conditions apply:

  • You may petition for your spouse, unmarried children, parents or siblings to receive permanent resident benefits through a green card.
  • You may petition for a fiancée or fiancé to immigrate with a fiancé(e) visa.
  • You may petition for a spouse and children to join you in the United States with a K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant visa.

You must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and prove your U.S. citizenship and your relationship with documentation, such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate.

Immediate relatives — spouse, children and parents — do not have to wait for a visa. Visas are always available for immediate family members.

As a U.S. citizen, you may also petition to bring in your brothers and sisters but you must be aware that there may be a very long wait before they are able to enter the U.S. as immigrants.

As a permanent resident, you can help family members come to America

If you hold a green card, you can still petition to bring certain family members into the United States under the Family Based SecondPreference Category – FB-2 Immigrant Visa. You must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and provide proof that you are a permanent resident. You must also prove your relationship to the person or persons for whom you’re petitioning. Unfortunately, you must be aware that there may be a long wait before your relative will be able to enter the United States.

Help for your relatives with citizenship and naturalization

The Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew can also assist your relatives at the appropriate time with filing applications for U.S. citizenship through naturalization, including preparation for the English and civics naturalization test.

Same-sex marriages now receive the same treatment for visas as opposite-sex marriages

After the June 2013 Supreme Court ruling that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced it would adjudicate immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.  This decision by the Supreme Court can also affect fiancée visas and other employment based immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

Receive exceptional service from a lawyer who understands the process and the need

The Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew in Honolulu strives to help families meet their immigration needs. Attorney KahBo Dye-Chiew helps U.S. citizens and permanent residents petition for family members to be reunited in America. Call today to schedule your consultation at 866-510-7082 or contact the firm online.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form