Home / Visas / Alphabet Soup of Nonimmigrant Employment Visas

Alphabet Soup of Nonimmigrant Employment Visas

Foreign nationals have an alphabet soup of nonimmigrant employment visas available, based on their ability to meet visa qualifications. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides forms for all types of nonimmigrant employment visas. However, laws and regulations for visas are complex. To help you better understand, here is a summary of nonimmigrant employment-based visa options for different categories of foreign nationals:

  • B-1 Business visitors engaging in commercial transactions not involving gainful employment, such as negotiations, consulting, or litigation
  • Visa Waiver Citizens of certain countries as business visitors
  • E-1  Key managerial, supervisory, or essential employees under the U.S. Friendship, Commerce and Navigation (FCN) Treaty
  • E-2 Investors making substantial investments under the FCN Treaty
  • E-3 Australian nationals with bachelor’s degrees in a specific field of study
  • E-1/E-2 E-2 E-2 or E-3 visa holders’ spouses
  • F-1 Full-time students in work study or internships
  • H-1B Individuals with bachelor’s degrees in specific study fields seeking occupational positions
  • H1-C Nurses for work in disadvantaged areas
  • H-2 Temporary or seasonal employees or laborers in agricultural or non-agricultural areas
  • H-3 Trainees for programs not available in the foreign national’s home country
  • I — Media or foreign press professionals making documentaries, covering news events, etc.
  • J  Exchange visitors for employment based on U.S. Department of State exchange terms
  • L  Intra-company transferees such as managers and executives of multinational corporations
  • L-2  Intra-company transferees’ spouses
  • M  Vocational students to attend full-time accredited schools
  • O Persons with extraordinary abilities and international acclaim in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
  • P-1 Athletes and group entertainers to perform in competitions, events, etc.
  • P-2  Artists or entertainers in reciprocal exchange programs between U.S. organizations and organizations abroad
  • P-3 Artists and entertainers to perform, teach, or coach in a culturally unique program
  • Q Exchange program trainees and employees sharing culturally in international exchange programs
  • R  Ordained ministers and professionals in religious vocations and occupations
  • TN Canadians and Mexicans seeking certain employment positions and Micronesians, Marshall Island citizens, and Palau nationals under North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Also, see the memorandum H-1B prepared by KahBo Dye-Chiew for more detailed information.

Ms. Dye-Chiew is a Hawaii visa lawyer and business immigration attorney, and she is happy to answer your questions.

Contact the Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew today

If you would like a consultation with immigration attorney KahBo Dye-Chiew at the Law Offices of KahBo Dye-Chiew, call 866-510-7082 or contact us online.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form